Jul 21, 2011

Upcoming Spy DVDs: Hanna

DVD Active reports that Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release Joe Wright's hard-edged teen assassin movie Hanna on DVD and Blu-ray on September 6. According to the website, extras on both versions include an alternate ending (that I'm particularly keen to see; the ending was the only part I didn't really like about the movie), deleted scenes, "Anatomy of a Scene: The Escape From Camp G" (undoubtedly the coolest scene in the movie) and an audio commentary with director Wright. Further exclusive bonus features on the Blu-ray (don't you hate that?) include "Adapt or Die," a featurette on training, a making-of documentary cleverly titled "Central Intelligence Allegory," a featurette on the Chemical Brothers' awesome score called "Chemical Reaction" and "The Wide World of Hanna," a featurette about the film's impressive European locations. This La Femme Nikita-meets-Bourne with a teenage girl spy movie/fairy tale starring Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana is one of my favorites of the year so far, and I'm looking forward to adding the Blu-ray to my collection. And look! They even kept the cool poster art rather than slapping together a Photoshop montage for the DVD cover! Nicely done, Universal. Pricing has yet to be announced.

2 comments:

J. John Aquino said...

Without spoiling the ending for readers who haven't seen Hanna, what didn't you like about the ending? Did you find it to be abrupt? I thought the ending tied in well to the beginning of the movie.

Tanner said...

Exactly. I thought it was too abrupt. I appreciated the symmetry with the beginning, but I wanted a longer, more rewarding showdown between Hanna and Cate Blanchett. And being purposely vague to avoid spoilers, I also would have liked to see Hanna learn about something that must have happened off camera and react to it. Other than those complaints, I really enjoyed the movie.