Jun 6, 2013

First Trailer for John le Carre's A Most Wanted Man

What a great surprise! I wasn't expecting to see anything from Anton Corbijn's A Most Wanted Man (adapted from the 2008 John le Carré novel of the same title) for a while yet. But thanks to Bleeding Cool, here we've got a lengthy trailer! (Perhaps too lengthy; there are snippets of some crucial scenes from the book here, but if you haven't read it you're unlikely to pick up on them anyway.) This is one of the remaining 2013 releases I'm most excited for. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Willem Dafoe, Nina Hoss and Robin Wright star.

UPDATE: That video has been taken down, but the trailer can still be found on YouTube.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I recently enjoyed reading this book and I think the casting of this film is perfect. The trailer looks like it has been pulled but I did find it on another site and I agree with Tanner on some important scenes shown in the trailer. I still think one of the director's previous films 'The American" was one of the best films of that year.

Tanner said...

I really liked The American too, but fell just short of loving it. (You can read my review by clicking on Corbijn's name in the article.) I did love the way it looked, though, and I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what Corbijn does working with what I see as stronger material. Just from the trailer it's clear that he's creating visuals from gritty, urban Hamburg every bit as exciting as those he created from picturesque rural Italy! I think that PSH and Nina Hoss (as Erna Frey) are absolutely perfectly cast! I wouldn't have pictured Dafoe as Tommy Brue, but then when I read it I was picturing Russia House-era Sean Connery, and clearly he wasn't an option. I'm sure Dafoe will be great! Rachel McAdams is definitely too old for her character as written, but I'm guess the script has changed the part a bit, and she's a wonderful actress, so I'm sure she'll do a great job too. Overall, it's a fantastic package, and I can't wait to see how it all comes out!